The Christmas lights have been put away for a while and we’re opening the windows instead of turning up the heat, but the summer is no time to ignore fire hazards in the workplace. Some of the most common reasons fires start in the summer are:
- Cooking indoors
- Grilling outside
- 4th of July fireworks
- Air conditioning units short-circuiting
According to the 2010 National Census performed by the U.S. Department of Labor, work-related fatalities resulting from fires more than doubled from 2009 to 2010. This number makes up over 3.5% of total fatalities in the workplace. Use fire safety training courses to avoid becoming part of this statistic, keep your insurance risks down, and prepare your employees for the possibility of a fire.
Online fire safety courses are an affordable and effective way to teach proper fire safety and protocol. By keeping your employees trained and informed you drastically lower the chance of having an incident in the workplace. I’ve compiled this list of four courses to help your organization prevent fires and prepare for inevitable accidents:
- Fire Safety: Extinguishing Risk, by J.J. Keller is an hour-long course that employs games, quizzes, and more to help learners learn to identify fire hazards and learn to use fire extinguishers safely.
- Basics: Fire Safety, by Global Collaboration Partners explains the combustion process in depth, looks at the different types of fires and teaches your employees how to deal with each type of fire specifically.
- Fire Safety Training from E-Learning WMB helps your organization develop an evacuation process for your office and what to do in the case of an alarm or when encountering a fire.
- OSHA: Fire Safety, by Vivid Learning Systems teaches fire prevention measures, proper use of a fire extinguisher, and helps your employees make your workspace OSHA compliant.
Keep your workplace fire-free this summer by training employees and having easy to follow protocols for safely dealing with a fire.